Yes yes, I realize you were all sitting and waiting for another dudefood recipe today, but the dude has been a little bit sick. And you know how men are when not feeling all too well…. 🙂 So he didn’t feel like creating any new dudy recipes for you. He’s feeling better now but this week you’ll have to make do with a recipe by myself. Delicious and if you think about it, with all the chilli in it, it could actually pass for dudefood as well.. Sort of…
I just came back from a trip to Vietnam, so a Thai recipe seemed entirely appropriate.. 😉 Hahaha…. I love Asian cuisine anyway. Thai, Vietnamese, Indian.. you can make me happy with either one of those. This dish was made by Charlotte and me already a while back when she had just arrived back from Thailand and made this quick and delicious dish during a cooking workshop. Be aware though that the oyster sauce does contain sugar as does the fish sauce. I don’t eat a lot of it so I tend to go with whatever I can find in these occassions. I’ve included a link to a resource with more information on sugar free oyster sauce, so feel free to substitute as you see fit.
Phad Kaprao Gai (fried chicken with basil the thai way)
The oyster sauce I used contained sugar. I included a link to a resource where they talk about substitutes. You can try and use coconut aminos instead of the oyster sauce although I wonder if it has the same flavors
- 100 gram sliced chicken
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup of chopped long beans
- 2-3 bird eye chili’s or red chili
- 1 cup of thai basil
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce (this is hard to find without sugar. Check here for recommendations)
- 1/2 tsp of honey
- 1/4 cup of sliced onions
- 3 tbsp of water
- Pour oil into a wok on a low heat. When the oil is hot add the garlic, the onions, chili peppers and chicken. Stir until fragrant and well done. Next add long beans, fish sauce, honey and oyster sauce.
- Add a little water. Stir together well. When everything is done, add basil leaves and serve with rice
Never want to miss another paleo recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!